Monday, September 29, 2008

Sleepless in Seattle Leads To Me Rambling

I’ve spent the last 4 days in Seattle. The town is amazingly cool…kinda wish I had a few more days here! I accomplished everything on my Seattle agenda although I didn’t purchase everything on my list, but I got the major things (pair of shoes since mine wear out quickly now that I walk everywhere, local pint glasses, speakers (so I can finally watch and listen to what I think will be an amazing Sigur Ros concert), and a few things for people back in the Land of the Morning Calm/Chaos.

When I passed through US customs, the guy asked how long I was staying…I said 4 days…he said you’re teasing yourself…I said yeah, but it’ll be good…he said welcome home. I went on my way. It was lunchtime, so I tracked down the nearest brewery and headed there. I ended up at The Pike Place Brewery, which was awesome. I had a cheeseburger, an IPA, and a beer sampler. A great first meal back. For dinner that night I went to The Tap House. I ate another cheeseburger and had to choose from 160 beers on tap…tough decisions I face these days. Things there were great. I’ll sum up this part with…I ate soooo much American food, and drank sooo many quality brews…mission accomplished! Thank you Seattle for taking care of me.

Jet Lag is my middle name. My last 4 nights have not been filled with sleep, but rather blocks of sleep. I go to bed, wake up every 2 hours, and then get up for good at 3:30 am. Kinda funny. I expect something similar upon my return to Korea….grrrhhh! =))

Apart from the conference, and the gluttonizing, my time in Seattle was interesting. I had a decent amount of down time either in the hotel, eating at restaurants solo, or wandering the streets. The down time here led to contemplation, reminiscing, reading, flowing emotions, etc. I’ve only been out of the states for 2 months, but I have already gained a much greater appreciation for what/who I left behind. Often times when I think/feel I want to put it on paper…it’s at that moment that I get a bit frustrated with my inability to accurately convey my thoughts and feelings. I wish I was a literary genius, a poet, someone good with words, but that’s not my gift/talent, so I make do. Thankfully, since often times I’m unable to truly express myself, I have access to other people that paint amazing pictures with their words. My favorite being songwriters. So I’ve included a list of songs that I connect with and if you read the lyrics or listen to the songs, may give you an idea about where my mind/heart have been here in Seattle and a few weeks leading up to my trip.

Darrell Scott: Lazarus Dies Again
Josh Ritter: Good Man, Best For The Best, California
Death Cab for Cutie: Nothing Better, The Ice Is Getting Thinner, Transatlanticism
Tracy Chapman: The Promise
David Gray: Let The Truth Sting, As I’m Leaving, This Year’s Love
Waterdeep: Sweet River Roll, Completely Known
Josh Radin: We Are Okay, I’d Rather Be With You, No Envy No Fear
U2: Sweetest Thing, City Of Blinding Lights, Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
Tom Petty: Free Fallin’
Ryan Adams: Dear Chicago, Desire, LaCienega Just Smiled, Cry On Demand
Matt Wertz: Red Meets Blue
Stereophonics: Rewind
Jose Gonzalez: Heartbeats
Sigur Ros: Glosoli
Ray Lamontagne: Shelter, Empty, Jolene
Keb Mo’: Remain Silent
Mat Kearney: Where Do We Go From Here

Honestly, the list could go on for quite some time. I’ll save some for another post.

I bought 2 books. 1) Eat, Pray, Love 2) The Year of Living Biblically – One Man’s Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible. I started The Year of Living Biblically…it’s supposed to be hilarious and from the pages I’ve read, I would agree.

There are a lot of mentally ill and homeless people wandering the streets of Seattle. I haven’t seen homeless people for 2 months. I think I was duped the other night by a supposedly homeless person. I ate at The Cheesecake Factory for dinner and had leftovers (pasta and cheesecake). I was walking back to the hotel and a guy probably close to my age said, “Hey, you got some leftovers, I’m homeless and hungry as hell.” Caught a bit off guard, I turned and looked at this guy. He didn’t look homeless, but who knows. He was decently groomed, had a goretex-ish jacket on, shoes with life left in them, wearing headphones and playing a gameboy. A rather well-to-do homeless person I guess…? Anyways, I handed him my leftovers and walked away perplexed. I’m still perplexed. I think he was just hungry and likes The Cheescake Factory =) Whether he was homeless, or just hungry, he had an amazing meal!!

No comments: