Monday, September 27, 2010

Work, Riding, and a bit of Traveling

It's been too long since my last post, and although my life hasn't been that exciting I have been doing my best to enjoy life over here. My weeks are long with a lot of work, but I've managed to get some play time in during the weekends.

Three weekends ago a group of us from school did a ride/race to Verbier. This is a famous ski town and has also been featured in the Tour De France. Myself along with 500 other riders went out for a 95km ride that include a 10km time trial up the mountain to Verbier. This is the first time in a LONG time that I've been involved in anything even remotely competitive. I managed to place 47th out of 87 riders in my age group. I was happy with that since I've only been riding in the mountain for a month. Plus I beat some of my colleagues that I've been attempting to catch up with since I moved here. Once at the top we had a pasta lunch, listened to some live jazz, and then headed home. With the ride back home I logged 150km for the day.

Just finishing the climb up to Verbier.
Trying to dry off and get some sun on my blinding, white body.
The group from school.
Being stupid.

Working at a boarding school, the staff members are the surrogate parents for the students. Here we have what's called "Faculty Family" where each faculty member has a small group of students that we meet with on a regular basis to eat dinner, go to the movies, hang out with, etc. My family consists of 3 guys and 2 girls. Three of them are from Mexico, one from Brazil, and one from Azerbaijan. We are a bit dysfunctional, but for the most part we're a good family. Two weekends ago I had a weekend trip with my family. I had arranged some plans, but due to the poor weather we bagged the initial plans and hopped on a train to Lausanne for Friday and Saturday. The students wanted to stay the night in a hostel, which was funny to hear since they normally live a life of luxury. So we booked a couple of rooms for the students and I stayed with strangers. The students slept well, but I did not. Anyways, we spent our time eating good food, doing a bit of shopping, walking along the waterfront, going to the cinema, and hanging out at the hostel. It was surprisingly a fun time.

The Darby Family.


And this past weekend I went to Paris. I went with four coworkers and our original reason for going to Paris was to see Mumford and Sons in concert. Things didn't go as planned, and our train was delayed for a while on Friday afternoon, therefore we were late to the concert and only heard four songs...but they were four good songs :) The remaining time was spent touring the city. Being there for two days only allowed me to get a taste of the city, so I will definitely go back a couple more times to visit the museums and some of the other sites that I missed.

Obvious what this is.
Arc De Triomphe
The concert group eating at "The Pharmacy."
Notre Dame
The only tough looking people in France...the riot Police.

October is another busy month, with work on every Saturday. So unfortunately I really won't be able to go on any weekend excursions. Damn the man. We already got our first snow here. I had to wear a winter coat today. I'm not ready for the cold weather, so hopefully this was just a fluke.

No comments: