Sunday, February 27, 2011

Austria and Ski Touring

Last weekend was a three-day weekend at school, so I took advantage of the extra day off and rode a train for 9 hours to Salzburg, Austria. My friends Hayes, and Jen are working at an international school just outside of Salzburg, so I was there to meet up with them. The weather was crummy (cloudy and rainy), but we still had a nice weekend together. I would like to make it back to Austria at some point in time while I'm still over here.

At the AUGUSTINER ABBEY & MÜLLNER BRÄU BREWERY

Overlooking Salzburg

Hayes and I

Overlooking Salzburg

Here in Leysin, and a majority of the other resorts over here, we've been suffering from a nearly snowless winter. We went around 60 days with no snow...ridiculous. But Friday night it started snowing, took a break on Saturday, and has been snowing all day Sunday. Finally we have some real powder to ski in. Yesterday I went on a ski tour with five friends (Shane, Pezz, Aaron, Erin, and Ethan). We were out for about 5.5 hours and in that time we only skied down for about 20 minutes. A lot of work with little reward. But we found untouched powder and got an amazing workout while at it.


A nice break on top of a saddle


Prafandaz Restaurant for a post-ski drink and snack (chocolate cake)

Post-ski beverage

Aaron and I (I'm exhausted and it shows)

(Thanks for the pics Shane)

No comments: