Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Some Random Thoughts

Just outside of Interlaken

Riding near Neuchatel

I've only been living overseas for nearly three years, and in the grand scheme of things it seems like a drop in the bucket, but at times it feels like it's been forever.

Leaving the US and the bubble in which I lived has opened my eyes and mind to a large degree, but often times I still feel narrow-minded. Stereotypes exist for a reason. Traveling to different places, living with a variety of people, being immersed in different cultures, etc. have indeed opened my mind, yet the stereotypes still exist...and I'm sure I've done my fair share of perpetuating some of the American stereotypes.

I love cycling. I love skiing. I love the outdoors. But I've realized that I love the energy, flavor, and vibe that exist in a city. In Korea I had all city, and no (well actually just limited) cycling and skiing. Here I have the opposite. I would like to find a balance in between the two.

Keeping in touch with friends back home has been more difficult this year. Part of that could be attributed to the inconvenient time difference. I also think it's partly due to the fact that this is my life now; it's no longer new for me to be living overseas.

Despite looking Swiss (or European) I feel more like a foreigner here than in Korea.

I don't know French and I don't have much desire to learn it. I want to learn Italian even though it's useless outside of Italy...and I don't live in Italy.

I want to become more of a dreamer. I'm too realistic and pragmatic.

Year 30 has been a good one. Thirty is the new twenty, but when it comes to looking at my future, I feel 18.

Although I have many years ahead of me, I feel like it's not enough time to do everything that I want to do.

Those are just a few of my thoughts.

This past Saturday a friend of mine and I rode our bikes to Interlaken. If you come visit I will take you to Interlaken...it is amazing! This week is filled with bike racing, but I'm just a spectator. The Tour de Romandie is within riding and driving distance of Leysin. Stage 2 actually finishes here in Leysin. I will watch two other stages on Friday and Saturday. It's a treat to watch world-class cyclists do their thing.

I'm staying put in Leysin for a few weeks in order to relax and let my bank account recover. At the end of May I'll be going to Portugal with two other staff members and about 15 students to attend a surf camp for a few days. After that we have graduation and then it's summer vacation!!!! :)

No comments: