Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What Do I Say...

Well, Year 1 of working in Switzerland has come to a close. It's kind of hard to believe that a full school year has passed and this time last year I was boxing up my stuff and leaving Korea. This year has been interesting. By and large I feel pretty good about my decision to have come here, but there are a couple of regrets. This year I've met a number of great people who share the same love for the outdoors that I do. Having a group to ride and ski with has been amazing, as well as having the opportunity to do these things immediately out my door. My health has improved drastically...there's still more I could do in this area, but I'm feeling good these days. I've grown professionally, and hopefully my two years here will help lead me into another place where there will hopefully be a balance in between the outdoors and city-life. Although throughout my job this year I have felt like just another cog in the machine. Despite spending huge amounts of time with students I never really felt much of a connection with my students. Graduation didn't mean much, and only a few brief goodbyes were exchanged with students. I do feel like I missed out having not remained with the first graduating class back at my school in Korea. Graduation would have meant a lot to me there as I had great connections with my students. Oh well, as I said, I feel pretty good about having come here.

Here's a pic of the staff at Graduation

Prior to graduation we had Spring Cultural Trips. Two friends (coworkers) and I took a group of 21 students to Peniche, Portugal to spend 4 days at Peniche Surf Camp. We also got to spend a day in Lisbon. I loved Portugal!! Plus, we had a great group of 11th graders, some of whom I'll be working with next year.
Peniche Surf Camp

Some students and I after our surf competition
Our group at the end of surf camp
Group pic overlooking Lisbon


The spring weather has been great (minus the week my family was here), which means I've been out on the bike a fair amount.

I've developed some pretty killer tan lines. They're on my legs too.
Riding up the Les Mosses climb
Me, Paul, Laura, Krysten, Mike on the border of Switzerland and France

Here's a silly video that my friend Paul did on the climb up to the Swiss/French border. I did not feel well, and Paul had a hard time staying on our side of the road while recording.


It feels weird not returning to the states for the summer. Instead I've chosen to spend some time in Switzerland as well as travel to Holland, Belgium, France and Italy. There's lots of cycling and sight-seeing ahead for me this summer, all of which I'm excited about.

I'll write more about my family visit soon...after I get some pics from my family.

No comments: