Saturday, August 2, 2008

I'm Not A Blogger








Blogging/writing is difficult for me to do.  I don't like to write and I lack the motivation to do so most of the time.  Grammar is not that important to me either.  But my time in Korea is all about turning over some new leaves, so why not turn over the blogging leaf.  I have now been in Suwon for roughly 2.5 days.  I have my own apartment.  I have never lived completely alone.  All through college and after college I've had several roommates and now for the first time I have my own place, but it's in another country...kinda funny.  My place is cozy, but nice.  I don't have a view because there's so many freakin' people here that every building is tall and blocks the view.  I live on the 9th floor of and 18 story building.  I have a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen/dining room, an office and a balcony with a storage closest.  Pretty good I'd say.  My fridgerator is 6 feet tall...that's huge.  A 5 minute walk will place me at the front of my school...I'm used to driving 25 minutes...what a great change.  I have not experienced the culture shock yet and I'm guessing it's because I'm jetlagged (14 hour time difference) and my school has occupied my time since the moment I arrived.  Soon we will be turned loose, but will be well supported the folks at school.  Koreans like to stare at white people like me and it's not because I'm beautiful, but because I'm a giant and I'm a foreigner.  But to make up for the stares they are so very helpful and willing to do whatever possible to help, even me, a foreigner.  I think I have a lot to learn from these folks.  School starts in 8 days and I really haven't put much thought into my job and preparation for the school year.  I might be shooting from the hip for a bit, but I'm a good shot =)  I have already encountered a couple of Korea's unique cultural experiences.  1)HomePlus.  Imagine Walmart...got it....now stack 5 of them on top of each other and you have HomePlus.  It's a 12 minute walk from my apartment and I plan on visiting often. 2) Crazy drivers.  Looking both ways once before crossing is not enough.  Red lights mean stop, but not in Korea.  Pedestrians do not have the right of way.  I plan on buying my moped very soon =) that way people have to watch out for me =)  I think I'm excited to be here, but not completely for sure yet.  Going against conventional wisdom.  Leaving the safety and security of home.  My family.  My friends.  And most of all, My Girl.  Words cannot describe the emotions and difficulty of leaving her.  Thankfully I'll see her face to face in 5 months...that's nothing...right!  But till then, video chat will have to do.  Here are a couple of pics, nothing exciting...




No comments: