Saturday, February 27, 2010

New Things Going On

Within the past two weeks two new things have started up for me this Spring. Once again I am helping coach our girls soccer team. The season just recently started and half of last year's team came again, and the other half is composed of girls who have never played soccer. We are starting from Step 1 again rather than being able to build on last year's success. Oh well, what can you do...? We had our first game on Friday and the Head Coach was out of town so I had to run the show. I was a bit nervous, but things worked out well. I yelled for 80 minutes while the girls played soccer for 80 minutes and they finished with a 4 to 0 victory. Great job girls!!!

During my time here I've let some parts of my life get sloppy...mainly my physical health. Although I still look relatively healthy, I don't feel that way. Since I'm going to be here for another 18 months I've resolved to take back control of my life and my health. Last week I joined a Kickboxing gym and I've started taking Muay Thai Kickboxing lessons. On of my friends introduced me to the gym and I work out alongside a couple other foreigners and then 4 to 6 Koreans. My instructor is Korean and he doesn't speak English. It's awesome!! Right now it's all about conditioning along with a little bit of technique and bag work. My body is sore, but it's a good sore! I have a long way to go, but it's exciting.

Two weeks ago I went ice climbing in the world's largest indoor ice climbing facility. We were able to climb up for 62 feet. My hands have never been so tired. I had a great time, but I can't foresee myself doing it often because it takes 2.5 hours to get there via public transit (bus, then subway, then bus).




It's been a long, cold winter here. Many people say it's been the worst winter in the past 10 years. The weather is slowly changing for the better. Once the ground dries up the trails will be rideable and the temperature bearable, which is quite exciting because I built a new mountain bike before the winter started and now it's ready to go.

Although work will be extremely busy until the end of the school year I'm optimistic about achieving some of my personal goals for the next few months.

1 comment:

What's in a name? said...

Good to hear Darby, good to hear. Well it's great to know that you're into fitness now...i kinda live in the gym, but definitely wouldn't mind learning kickboxing while i'm there.