Thursday, August 26, 2010

Money, Money, Money

Students and their families began arriving on Monday. Most of more dorm students are here. I have students from: Iran, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Venezuela, Brazil, Russia, Norway, Italy, South Korea, China, Japan, and the USA! I'm probably missing some countries. Coming here I knew these families were wealthy, but it's beyond crazy how much wealth exists here at this school. Also, money talks here....not a good thing. I found out that one family donated 1 million dollars to help build some facility here and the student was bumped up a grade level. Hmmm, doesn't sound right to me. I'm slowly becoming aware of the school politics...something I hope to stay out of as much as possible.

Part of me thinks adjusting to life here in a small, remote village will be more difficult than my adjustment to South Korea. We shall see.

No comments: