Thursday, February 5, 2009

Backfire

Back at my last job as a school counselor I was also the assistant coach for 3 years for the boys swim team and the girls swim team. Coaching added quite a few hours to my work week (weekend) and some stress as well...there was always drama with the swimmers or their parents. So when I came to my new school I said to myself that I was here to enjoy and explore another country/culture and not spend all of my time working. Thus far I have done a good job at that. When I came here I kept my mouth shut that I have experience in coaching swimming, therefore I escaped coaching middle school swimming. (I know, I'm a bad employee). Now Spring time is rolling around, which means high school soccer season is starting. My closest friend here at work is the Head Coach for the girls soccer team. The first 2 people that said they would be his assistant coach ended up bailing. I told him if he couldn't find anyone else to be his assistant coach, then I would do it. Well, he couldn't find anyone else, so I am now the assistant coach for the high school girls soccer team. WTF?! =) If I would have coached swimming I could justify not helping out with soccer, but since I avoided the swim season I feel somewhat obliged to help out now. So in my attempt to avoid coaching, I am now coaching a sport that I am relatively unknowledgeable about. That's what I get!! =)

No comments: