Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Himalayan Trip

This upcoming Friday, February 20th I hop on a plane with a final destination of Bagdogra, India. From there I'll be on a bus to Sikkim, India where I will start a 6 day trek in the Himalayan mountains. Sikkim is nestled in between Nepal (to the north) and Bhutan (to the south). I am going with 4 other people that I do not know, but they work at my sister school, so hopefully they will be a fun group! We will be doing a route called the "Dzongri Trek" where we will get to see the 3rd highest mountain in the world, Kanchenjunga! The highest altitude that we will be hiking at will be around 15,500 feet, but Kanchenjunga's elevation is 28,169 feet. Wild!!

Going to the Himalayan mountains has been a dream of mine for many years. Simply put, this trip is a dream come true for me and my excitement is unmeasurable!! This trip is also a bit different than what I'm used to in terms of backpacking or roughing it. We have to use an outfitter to go where we are going, which means we will have our own cook, guide and a yak to carry most of our stuff. We will not really be roughing it that much at all =)

I will be taking a lot of pictures, so like I did for my Christmas trip, I'll include a link to my photo album for you all to enjoy!



Somewhere in Sikkim, India.
Kangchenjunga
This is the route we will be on. We'll be going from the south to the north.

No comments: