Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turbulence and Traveling

So if you've been watching the world news you will have noticed that (like usual) a lot terrorism, threats of terrorism, and violent protests have been taking place. I talked with my mom today to wish everyone at the family get-together a "Happy Thanksgiving" and she said to me, "you may want to reconsider your travel plans." I told my mom that all my tickets and sleeping arrangements have been booked. Three of the countries that I plan on visiting in the next 3 months are dealing with some major violent disturbances.

In 3 weeks I'm off to Thailand and Bali for 3 weeks of travel and beach time. Bankok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport has been shut down due to anti-government protests, which included at least 4 bomb blasts. Hopefully things will settle down and the airport will reopen by December 20th.

In 2002 and 2005 Bali experienced numerous terrorist bombings that targeted the tourist districts. Just recently, the individuals directly responsible for the bombings were executed. Leading up to the executions, there were a number of terrorist threats to continue bombing tourist districts and embassies. I am supposed to arrive in Bali on January 4th.


On Wednesday major attacks were launched on popular hotels and commerical buildings in Mumbai, India. The death toll is 119 people. Islamist terrorists are supposedly responsible for the situation, which is still not under control. People are still being held hostage. Reports state that the terrorists were looking for both Americans and Brits. I will not be in India until February.


It's a bit eerie to see places that I will soon be traveling to experience such chaos and tragedy. I know tragedy takes place on a daily basis across the world, but I've always had the idea that I'll be safe, and odds are when I travel to these places, I will be safe, but it does make me feel a little weird.

No comments: