Monday, December 1, 2008

Competition

I miss my bike (bicycle)...actually bikes. I miss riding them. I miss working on them. I miss racing them. I haven't been a bike for quite a while now, and even longer since I've raced one. I miss being competitive. I miss suffering. I miss having concrete fitness goals. These days it's more like "I want to get in shape." What does that necessarily mean? What does that look like? Etc. That is a goal that does not create much motivation for me to achieve it. There has to be something to work toward, not a better physique, but more like I want to run or ride in this race, place this well, or maintain this pace. So here are my thoughts... you read a while ago that my mountain bike never made it to Korea and you also read that I started running again. Nowadays I have to keep the distance pretty short due to my crappy knees, that are getting progressively worse. But I can run a 5K (who can't) and a 10K, so that's what I'm going to stick with. Here in Korea there are plenty of 5k and 10K races in the spring months, which give me something to work towards during the winter months. Also, I think when I return to Kansas City (cause odds are that's where I'll end up) I'm going to pick up a cyclocross (cx) bike. You can ride it anywhere, plus there is a decent CX scene in Kansas City with plenty of races. In fact, the Cyclocross National Championships are held in KC. My return to KC is a long way from now, but those are my thoughts...one way to help prevent becoming stagnant again.

Wow, this was a boring post, but it's typed, so it's being posted.

A couple of my bikes...somewhere in Utah

Mountain biking in Durango, Colorado (check out the hair...ha)

Mountain biking in Jackson Hole, Wyoming (The Tetons in the background)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good goals for the 5 and 10K!

I love the CX bike plan. Man, I've lusted after a cyclocross bike for so long! I can't believe I lived in Boston all those years and didn't get into cyclocross racing there--they have a great race scene.

My cyclocross plans seem like they're permanently on hold because I don't think I can get another bike until I have a house :(

Anyway, put a deposit down with my buddy Mike Zanconato. www.bikesbyzank.blogspot.com :)

Or buy a speedvagen:

http://speedvagen.com/

okay, back to finals studying...

Ryan